View Single Post
Old 3rd July 2019, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by onetwentie View Post
So I removed the motor attachment from the caliper for now with a view to hopefully being able to repair it. I bought a cheaper one for a Passat - it is slightly different in that there is no cable coming out of it, rather it has a 2 pin plug. I was hoping to bas***dise it and somehow either use the components from within it or retrofit it in place of the original. The problem seems to be that the original caliper motor thingy for the A8 is much more dearer than these for the Passat model? Anyway that is a project for another day, in the meantime I have no EPB, but like you - I never use the damn thing anyway!
Ahhhh....I was wondering about a similar style of DIY fix. They certainly look very similar. Maybe keep the powered motor part from the Audi. I've opened mine up a couple of times and free it up. Sealing them is the tricky bit so it doesn't get water in and gum up again. Typically the motor senses the jam and then raises the fault so it would surprise if the motor is dead!

Quote:
I did do some reading on this, and ideally I would like to give it a go with a top up. Any links to how this is done? I don't even know where to look under the engine for where this is to be fair! Was it easy enough to do? I must admit that this is the only other thing that isn't running smooth on my car. Any help would be greatly received.
Ideally needs ramps and the car to be secure with the motor running and changing gears. Remove the plug and squirt the correct oil up until it over flows, change gear, repeat etc.
I've gotten a local small garage i'm friendly with to do it. It's a bit messy and you need a pump bottle. My garage made a manual one kinda like a bigger one of these with a hooked end
Use the correct gearbox oil though!

Previous :
1998 S8 PF 4.2 V8 D2 - Gearbox died ~120k
2002 S8 FL 4.2 40v V8 D2 Prins LPG - Engine valves met pistons ~230K

Also :
1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0l (Post Apocalyptic makeover)
2003 Brabus Smart FourTwo (should sell)
2003 Mazda Rx8 2.3 (might sell)