View Single Post
Old 10th July 2019, 08:03 PM

I've tried turning polyurethane rod - that exact stuff from Direct in fact. Total machinist's nightmare! It just bends out of the way of the tool Casting it is much easier. Turn an aluminium version on the lathe, make a silicone mould of it, and then pour in 2-part poly compound.

I've spoken to Powerflex about custom bushes before - they are happy to help, but I have concerns over noise, ride quality and longevity with poly. They never seem to last any decent length of time because the metal sleeves corrode and grit gets down the middle and just grinds them away. Now the original bushes are NLA though, I may have to just try it and see what happens.

Meyle already make one of the rear bushes, albeit only because it was also used on the Audi 100. They might see a market for D2s worldwide, especially since they use four of each part. They're the only manufacturer still making lower arms for the 20" D2, and there can't be much of a market for those, although that is only a difference in the balljoint pin.

I'll ask anyway...