Thread: Broadband Speed
View Single Post
Old 5th March 2019, 11:09 AM
RIP 27/02/2021 :-(

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikkiJayne View Post
About 20 years ago I started working for an IT service provider in Leeds. Not long after I started with them, they moved in to a new building up the road which was directly under a 475KV power line (the really big ones). We moved all our kit in, and discovered that our CRT monitors were completely unusable due to the magnetic field from the power cables scrambling the displays. There was revolt from all the staff of course since we didn't fancy sitting in such a strong magnetic field. Some people suggested a Faraday cage in the roof void might help, but in the end management simply replaced all the CRT monitors with LCD and declared the problem fixed

I left after a couple of months.
Powerlines can certainly be an issue, but they're massively more powerful and emit radiation over various parts of the electromagnetic spectrum. There are a few powerlines locally that I have frequently walked under when out hiking. There's a very audible hum, your hair feels like it's standing on-end and you can actually feel some of the energy passing though you. I certainly wouldn't want to work or live under any powerlines.

Have you ever held a fluorescent tube under a powerline? Pretty cool to see them glow, if a little unnerving ...

https://www.larkinweb.co.uk/miscella...wer_lines.html
------------------------------------------------------

------------------------------------------------------
Cars Owned:
The Tesla Era: 2020 Model S Performance Ludicrous+ (present)
(Black, with all black premium interior and carbon fibre décor, 21" sonic carbon twin turbine wheels and FSD capability)

The Audi Era: '97 A8 4.2 (Ming Blue) --> '96 A8 4.2 QS (Dark Green) --> '02 FE S8 (present)
The Citroen Era: '84 BX 1.6 RS --> '89 BX 1.9 DTR Turbo --> '94 XM 2.0L Turbo --> '96 XM 2.0L Turbo Exclusive --> '00 Xantia Activa 2.0L Turbo
The Banger Era: '76 1.2L Lada VAZ-2101 (Ruski Fiat 124) --> '80 1.7L Morris Ital HL, finished in Ermine White and Rust