View Single Post
Old 26th June 2017, 05:40 PM
RIP 27/02/2021 :-(

Quote:
Originally Posted by ainarssems View Post
This to to follow up from my online trading thread.

It seems like a no brainer if setup costs less than £2k for PC, £80 a month to run and returns over £500 every month. You build one, 4-5 months later it's paid of so you buy another one, after 2 months another, then after 6 weeks another... as far as your power supply will allow you to go (or internet connection)

So Mark if you could give a bit more details with the example PC build details. Which currencies are better to mine and if you can or if it's recommended to run several at the time to spread the risk. How fast internet do you need or anything else you think I should know.
As far the internet connection and PC goes, you don't need anything special. It uses very little bandwidth and a cheapo Celeron CPU will do. 4GB of RAM is enough for 1 or 2 cards. 8GB or more is recommended for larger rigs.

If you're considering getting into mining, start with a single graphics card. I'd recommend using NiceHash to mine. It's a multi-algorithm program that automatically switches to the most profitable coin/algorithm.

Nice has have a profitability calculator for numerous different cards here:
https://new.nicehash.com/profitability-calculator

There are numerous builds and optimisations you can do but the basics are:
1) Install a suitable graphics card
2) Get a Bitcoin wallet
3) Run NiceHash and point it to your Bitcoin wallet

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikkiJayne View Post
I'd be interested to know if you need a high-end CPU to go with the GPUs or whether the GPUs do all the work. I've got some old HP Proliant servers kicking about which can take half a dozen PCIe cards so it'd be nice to make use of them.

Electricity at the workshop is half the price of home too

Hmm the Proliants would only take two of those double-height x16 graphics cards. Is that worth it?
The servers will work, if you can physically fit the graphic cards in them, but they're a bit overkill and will probably use more electricity than needed. You really only need a basic CPU and motherboard (preferably one with a few PCIe slots for multi-card rigs though of course).
------------------------------------------------------

------------------------------------------------------
Cars Owned:
The Tesla Era: 2020 Model S Performance Ludicrous+ (present)
(Black, with all black premium interior and carbon fibre décor, 21" sonic carbon twin turbine wheels and FSD capability)

The Audi Era: '97 A8 4.2 (Ming Blue) --> '96 A8 4.2 QS (Dark Green) --> '02 FE S8 (present)
The Citroen Era: '84 BX 1.6 RS --> '89 BX 1.9 DTR Turbo --> '94 XM 2.0L Turbo --> '96 XM 2.0L Turbo Exclusive --> '00 Xantia Activa 2.0L Turbo
The Banger Era: '76 1.2L Lada VAZ-2101 (Ruski Fiat 124) --> '80 1.7L Morris Ital HL, finished in Ermine White and Rust