View Single Post
Old 4th March 2018, 08:14 PM

Default Shake that thang!

I too have been tracking down a front end wobble, I cant say if it would relate to any of the the posts and problems in this thread. Also bear in mind that I have the aloominum hubs/uprights so dont know if this would apply to the steel hubs yada yada. Shudder started after I had to replace O/S hub as the top pinch bolt had been over torqued and had broken the lug off the hub, had to do this to both sides, grrr, so be careful when tightening these top pinch bolts in aloominum hubs (37Nm) The reason I think this might apply is the 70mph shudder, thats what I'm getting

So, onwards, all arms were replaced recently along with poly bushes allround at the front. Now there was never a wobble from the front until I changed the O/S hub. First thought, unknown m ileage on front hub so changed bearing, still wobbles. Started looking for any play in arms/balljoints as I can practically rule out the bushes with them being poly, but still eyeballed them to be sure, no movement at bush end but I did notice movement in the top rear balljoint. Ordered cheapy from ebay to test/replace. As I took the balljoint out from hub I could see and feel that it was still very tight in its socket, changed it anyway just to rule it out. All back together and theres play in the new/replaced top rear arm, exavctly the same movement, grrr, lol.

Took both top ball joints out and swung hub outwards to have a look in the hole for the balljoint, all crudded up with oxidation. Got into it with a Dremel and cartridge roll (dont go heavy in here as you dont want to remove any metal thus making the hole bigger) then replacing the balljoints along with some locktite stud and bearing goop and torqued up (37Nm) and now no wobble from that side but can now feel a slight wobble from the N/S lol so thats getting the same treatment, soon, someday, lol

I know this might not be your collective problem but you have all pretty much covered all the possibilities and symptoms I've had. HTH and YMMV lol