View Single Post
Old 24th January 2022, 05:41 PM

Default Try doing this at any Audi (or any other...) main dealer

So...I thought I'd share my Tesla recall experience today, which was a world away from what I used to get at Audi (Smith Knight Fay/Inchcape) with my Audi S8.

I got an email this morning from Tesla about a bonnet latch recall: non-urgent, not major, and my second recall in six years - the other being for the passenger airbag, which was fixed by a Tesla "mobile ranger" whilst I was charging at a Tesla supercharger and either working on my laptop, or drinking beer in the hotel bar - I can't remember which now .

Anyway, this is a summary of the steps in this process from start to end today - none of which bear any resemblance to my old "main dealer" experiences:

1) Take (about) a minute to schedule a service appointment with the App on my mobile,
2) Get confirmation on the App within seconds, and also via text/email,
3) Drive for 20 minutes to the store. On approach, Tesla "sees" my car in its "geocache" area, and sends a "thank you" to my App and also by text,
4) Get out of my car - and go into the store if I want, and help myself to the free wifi, coffee, biscuits, fruit, etc, and chat with the store staff (if I wish). No need to handover car keys, wait for anyone to come & speak to you, etc, etc, as they already have access to my car. Or head to the pub instead ,
5) Sit and do some work for 30 minutes, with my coffee & biscuits,
6) Get a confirmation text that the work has been done and my car is ready, along with a pin code to allow me to access/unlock the car,
7) Drive home with the app and car updated, and with my car fully charged again.

Simples. Never going back to Audi - or anyone else for that matter.

Autos Autos everywhere...
(1) 2015 Tesla Model S: (was 85D, now 90D ). Silent and deadly, and very fast... But not as fast as Ian's M3P-
(2) 2002 D2 S8 Final Edition: Bulletproof and faultless: Brilliant Black with Extended (Red!) Leather. Three-times winner of Best D2 1st prize
(3) 1997 Fiat Coupe 20v Turbo: Scots (! ) Green. Fragile, but beautiful.
(4) 2010 Fiat Panda 100HP. White Pandamonium (Final Edition!!). Pure old-fashioned 6-speed go-karting.