View Single Post
Old 14th January 2014, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Laird View Post
That's neat. I'm still playing around with mine, trying to install it in a 'hollow' boot lock. But this camera is nicer, with the 'grid lines', so I think I'll swap mine for one like this.
I read on one of the Audi forums (possibly this one) of someone doing this as it would mean both rear lenses would look identical, but decided on the easier option.

Quote:
Originally Posted by notorious View Post
Because of curved line or the boot lid the rear lens is not exactly perpendicular to reversing direction. So camera doesn't look exactly rearwards if mounted flush with the lens. Deviation angle will be around 10 degrees. How is this compensated to achieve precise positionig of parking lines?

My camera was sold with a special ring that compensates that angle, but it doesn't have parking lines. It does have night vision LEDs though.
I still tend to rely on the sensors warning me when I get to close, so don't rely on the parking lines that much. With what you said, I must go out on a dry day and mark out with obstacles where exactly those lines relate to because of the offset. Would be a pity to have parking sensors AND a camera and still dent the rear end

Quote:
Originally Posted by David's8 View Post
Very neat. One thing though (and perhaps I missed something). You stated that the signal wire would not be used as RNS-D didnt have a reversing camera option but you later said that you engaged reverse and got a picture? I assumed that it was not going to be automatic but required you to select TV?
You did. There was a line about switching on the ignition, the RNS-D and selecting AV1. That was OK for testing purposes. With the TV tuner currently set to AV1, if the RNS-D is on, I just need to press the Radio/CD/TV button until the TV is selected (either one or two presses). It's not ideal, but if I approach a parking space that I know is tight, it's just a quick press of the button as I align the car. Hope that makes sense.

My DIY jobs - Replaced alarm horn, Replaced Coolant Temp sensor, Updated RNS-D firmware, Installed Reversing Camera and Digital TV, Dashcam Installation, Retrofitted Rear Blinds, Auto-Dimming Rear View Mirror, Chrome Boot Struts

Sold! 2008 S8 D3 5.2 V10 - Engine: BSM, Gearbox:KLW, Colour:LY7F Suzuka Grey Pearl Effect, Interior:Black/Black with Silver/Black valcona leather with carbon atlas inserts, Bang & Olufsen, Heated windscreen, Soft-close doors, TV, DAB, AMI, Quad Zone, Auto Boot, Auto dim Mirrors, Keyless entry, PDC with rearview camera, AFS II Headlights

My DIY jobs - Fan Jet Windscreen Washers, Retrofitted Electric Side Blinds