View Single Post
Old 28th August 2014, 11:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordHefner View Post
Hi Marcin,

As you know the headlamps on my car are my priority, and as an upgrade I originally wanted to do a halogen swap out for either HIDs or LEDs and as from the conversations that we have already hand regarding lights I consider your opinions as almost godly! So although I don't have the original headlamps my car should have, and the ones that I do have come with P21W's then I thought it best to follow in your footsteps and get the look you have which after all the effort and money spent when I finally switch my lights on I will get to see something great for my money!

so the replacements for those ****ty P21W's is as per the link above then?
This one!
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2x-P21W-50...item3f252e500a

And although I've already bought LED side light bulbs once, the 68SMD type when I tried putting them in the edges were slightly larger than the hole for them to go through and hence my partners old focus now has a lovely set of side lights! Have you got a link for the best LED sidelights that I could put in my car that will fit?

In other good news my Ballast for the highly problematic passengers side D2s Xenon arrived to day so as soon as I've got all of the rest of the other bits and pieces then I'll arrange another day with Scott for us to get them sorted.

You said that you've clamped the wires together presumably you've changed some setting somewhere and was wondering what you have done!

Regards, Mark.
Hi Mark
I know how you feel mate, but you will have it sorted very soon.

Soooo, first question: have you got DAB?? If not, are you going to have one??
Why?? Well, best result you will achieve by fitting P21Ws with all CREE leds like in this link http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2x-P21W-50...item3f252e500a

...but, it's reported that CREE leds are causing some problems with digital reception, I think digital TV.

If you do have or planning to retrofit, then P21Ws with all SMD chips is your only solution, but they are not as good as CREE, lifetime wise and quality of the light.

Best sidelight I've ever fitted are the one from this link below, 2 years on and no problems at all, the construction is ideal for LEDs as there is no way 'head' will desolder it self from the base because of the heat and weight of the 'head' over the time. Main core is one piece of pcb and second one just slots in, very very solid. And they fit perfectly
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3706414008...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Wiring, it's really very simple, just connect sidelight's positive wire with DRL's positive, sidelight-red DRL-white, like on the picture if THIS thread, but page 1.
Then all you do is change one digit in the headlights coding, from Bi-Xenons with separate P21W halogen to Bi-Xenons with LED DRL. This way you wont get any errors because of fitting lower wattage LEDs, no resistors needed and if you code them as LED they will dim when you switch to main beam, like the original LEDS do.

I think it's one of the best lights mod you can do. See attached the most recent picture after upgrading to full CREE LEDS, plus on page one you have a comparison of LED vs halogen

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0297.jpg
Views:	301
Size:	371.0 KB
ID:	8899  

2006 D3 S8 5.2 V10
Ceramic Brakes, Bang&Olufsen, DTV, DAB, Rear Camera, BT, TPMS, Soft Close, Auto Boot, AMI , 4 Zone AC, Home Link, All Electric Blinds, Fingerprint, Ski Hatch, Black Extended Leather, Heated Sport Seats, Alacantra, Carbon Trim inc Aluminium Pack 2.
2015 A3 S line 1.4 TFSI - for the missus to keep her away from my car.
Standard S-line equipment, no extras.
2006 D3 A8 3.7 V8 - SOLD but not forgotten