View Single Post
Old 1st August 2017, 06:21 PM

Default TDI hot start issues

Hi guys. I'm wondering if someone could plug their 4.0 or 4.2 TDI in and tell what the RPM of the engine is while cranking. When the 3.0tdi A4 is cranknig it spins over very fast in comparison. (keep forgetting to plug in and see what speed it turns)

My hot starting problem is getting worse and worse and worse. The other day, after having sat on the drive over the weekend it wouldn't even start from cold. The engine sounds slow and gets slower.

Tonight after trying to start it I plugged my wee code reader in. On its own battery it started off turning at c150RPM and by the time it decided it wasnt going to start it was only doing c120RPM. With the jump leads on the A4 it started turning over at c170 RPM slowing to the mid 160's.

It isnt even starting with a jump until it has sat and cooled for 3-4 hours. Also, I used to be able to start from cold at work, then stop at the supermarket on the way home, by which time the engine had heated up to around 70 degrees and was still able to start it after doing the weeks shopping. Now it takes several attempts and usually needs the booster battery to start.

Ive bought a new starter motor for it. I'm not one for blindly throwing replacement parts at a probelm in the hope of fixing a problem but it was really very cheap so i thought i moight as well take a punt. Taking it to the "experts" to have it scanned on dealer level VCDS software gave me no information and the crank sensor did nothing to help so if this doesnt work I'm seriously considering scrapping the thing.

gill