View Single Post
Old 21st January 2020, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikkiJayne View Post
Even though I know how it works, its still slightly magical that something I designed on my computer can then be a real object on the other side of the planet a short while later
When I showed this thread, and your part that I printed, to my partner, and pointed out the timeline from you sending the part to me and the subsequent print completion, her remark to me was ..."that's just like teleportation!"

And she is right to a degree - you could not courier a part as quickly, even in the same city usually. That is assuming that the part is still available to buy and not NLA.

It is entirely possible that you could conceive a design that did not exist in the world and yet have someone on the other side of the planet holding the realised conception in their hand in less than an hours time, such is the wonder of modern technology!

When I was a boy I remember watching Lost In Space and being well impressed at the magical machine that you simply pressed a button to select your desired object and Voila! the door to the machine was opened and there was your desired item....reality is approaching this idea.

One day we may not even have to go shopping, or to the hardware store - we will simply print our own screws, nails, and what-nots. Look! We are doing it already!

Quote:
It looks like it fitted quite well too. I'd definitely glue that design to make it weather-tight, but that might not matter in some parts of Australia I guess? I need to get my machines printing TPU now!
It fits like a glove! Yes, gluing it definitely makes sense. I suppose that a good deal of water might flow past there if it was raining hard for an extended period.