View Single Post
Old 6th April 2019, 10:03 AM
RIP 27/02/2021 :-(

I'm all for saving money, and for most things in life I'll opt for unbranded if there's little difference in quality, but tyres are something I NEVER compromise on. I always check the independent tyre tests and performance ratings and pick the best tyres that money can buy. I change them every 2-3 years too, despite averaging less than 8K miles annually.

For me it's not about how you drive or whether there's any perceivable difference in grip and handling in normal driving conditions, it's about having the best possible road holding and stopping distance in emergency situations. You never know when you might need that extra grip or when a few metres might be the difference between life and death.

In all the tests I have seen, Accelera tyres perform adequately but are way behind the premium brands. And while they might be a few hundred pounds cheaper than some of the best tyres available, I'd look to save money just about anywhere else first, if I had to, just to be able afford the best tyres.
------------------------------------------------------

------------------------------------------------------
Cars Owned:
The Tesla Era: 2020 Model S Performance Ludicrous+ (present)
(Black, with all black premium interior and carbon fibre décor, 21" sonic carbon twin turbine wheels and FSD capability)

The Audi Era: '97 A8 4.2 (Ming Blue) --> '96 A8 4.2 QS (Dark Green) --> '02 FE S8 (present)
The Citroen Era: '84 BX 1.6 RS --> '89 BX 1.9 DTR Turbo --> '94 XM 2.0L Turbo --> '96 XM 2.0L Turbo Exclusive --> '00 Xantia Activa 2.0L Turbo
The Banger Era: '76 1.2L Lada VAZ-2101 (Ruski Fiat 124) --> '80 1.7L Morris Ital HL, finished in Ermine White and Rust