View Single Post
Old 21st July 2020, 08:07 AM
RIP 27/02/2021 :-(

I can't really tell the dimensions from the photo, but that metal bracket looks to be too thick. You need something thick enough to be rigid and hold the lens in place but thin enough to slide down the (inside) back of the lens.

If I remember correctly, the steel I used was from a computer expansion port blanking plate, which was not much thicker than that from a tin can -- in fact a piece of tin can steel might do it. What I did was cut the steel into a rectangle, the full (internal) width of the lens then slid it down the back. I then marked where it needed to bend at the top of the lens and bent it to the required angle (which is probably something like 100-120 degrees) to make the overhang parallel with the top of the lens. Then I just cut the overhang down such that it protruded like a single (full-width) tab. After a test fit (with the glove box out of the car), I glued the bracket to the lens. I'll take a photo sometime when I get chance (my S8 is in storage these days, several miles away).
------------------------------------------------------

------------------------------------------------------
Cars Owned:
The Tesla Era: 2020 Model S Performance Ludicrous+ (present)
(Black, with all black premium interior and carbon fibre décor, 21" sonic carbon twin turbine wheels and FSD capability)

The Audi Era: '97 A8 4.2 (Ming Blue) --> '96 A8 4.2 QS (Dark Green) --> '02 FE S8 (present)
The Citroen Era: '84 BX 1.6 RS --> '89 BX 1.9 DTR Turbo --> '94 XM 2.0L Turbo --> '96 XM 2.0L Turbo Exclusive --> '00 Xantia Activa 2.0L Turbo
The Banger Era: '76 1.2L Lada VAZ-2101 (Ruski Fiat 124) --> '80 1.7L Morris Ital HL, finished in Ermine White and Rust

Last edited by moltuae; 21st July 2020 at 08:11 AM.