View Single Post
Old 3rd November 2018, 09:04 PM

Slightly off topic a wee bit. The biggest issue with EVs IMHO is the charging, take the West End of Glasgow as an example, an affluent, trendy, even bohemian area where one might think the demographic was a perfect target for EV sales. However most of the accommodation is in the traditional Glasgow tenement, albeit upmarket ones, where the average street can’t cope with the simple parking requirements of existing ICE vehicles. The flats will often have 2 or more cars with 8 flats in each “block” therefore taking up a similar street area to a decent sized detached house, so at least 16 cars require charging in that pavement space. Nobody seems to have come up with a solution to that scenario. Assuming this could be addressed the additional load on the National Grid would be huge and would it cope? To me it’s just shifting the environmental issues to a different sector. Then factor in the Glasgow Uni Students who enjoy a few beers of an evening staggering home amongst a tangle of cables etc..or just simply unplugging them for a “jolly jape” on their way home. Also until EVs can cover a similar "real" range (see recent What Car tests) and can be refuelled as quickly as ICE cars I can't really see the appeal. Of course the usual caveat applies; I am just a simple country boy and may not understand any of this

Audi S8 2002, Black (even the chrome bits)
Audi RS6 Avant 2008, Daytona Grey
Maserati Granturismo 2008, Metallic Nero Carbonio
Audi S8 2015, Daytona Grey

Last edited by briang9; 3rd November 2018 at 09:07 PM.