View Single Post
Old 23rd February 2016, 05:23 PM

I finally got around to fitting some T20 LEDs to mine. I already updated to facelift lights but it might be similar for the original style.
The ones I got are perfect brightness and colour quality....

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/1pc-T...370629531.html

First off, they didn't fit in the aperture by about 1mm, so I used a red hot scalpel to remove a bit around the edge of the hole.

Then I put the bulb in, but it stuck out too much for the cover, so have to remove the white wedge base plastic with the hot scalpel and snips.
I put red heat-shrink on the wires sticking out the bulb. I tested and found that the legs with the diodes inline are positive + and these need to go to the connector with yellow single wire rather than the -ve one with a pair of white wires. I held the LED bulb in with a couple of small blobs of white hot glue - I hope it is high enough melting point - maybe sugru would have been better as I do have some.

I was just going to put male lucar ends with solder and shove them into the female lucars but I didn't have the smaller size ones needed.
I took off the white plastic lucar covers and soldered the wires onto the lucars and covered in larger red heatshrink tubing.

Put back in the car tested - everything great and no errors, so put all the nuts and screws and trim back.
Job's a good'n. Hope it's useful. Cost £6ish.
***EDIT*** today I get broken bulb errors on the DIS about a minute after starting off, even when not using the reversing lamps, so will have to put a resistor in

***EDIT*** Today I see that after the broken bulb warning comes on the reversing lights are disabled until next restart - will have to fit a resistor

Last edited by snapdragon; 23rd April 2020 at 08:19 AM.