View Single Post
Old 16th October 2015, 02:59 PM

Okay - eats my slice of pie and another story.

I did search the forum for any possible information on water ingress before I posted this up, and sadly found nothing (which considering everything that was here is a bit of a surprise...).
After reading about this Botangs hole I popped out, and had a look... couldnt see anything but regardless, phoned my garage and booked it in for today.
Went down this morning armed with the forum thread, and the rough location, we got the lights out, disassembled a few things and made a start.
For 10 minutes, it was lots of "cant find it" until suddenly he goes "oh... its there". It was actually about 3 inches from where we were looking, and to my horror there wasnt anything on it at all - it was wide open and almost like it was in the forum pictures.
From there, a small galvanised metal plate was fabricated, loads of sikoflex type material applied to it, and then with the help of a magnetic probe and few screw drivers it was positioned and then pressed down and sealed.

I have to say, I was shocked.
Audi produce superbly engineered cars design wise, and for them to be so half arsed about this item is out of order. This hole as rightly stated, is right above a major part of the cars electrics, and almost directly below the windscreen scuttle drain off. Its almost as if they placed it on purpose to pour water in to the passenger side and when I looked at mine, there was nothing covering it at all - the paper that had covered it had long gone.

I am pleased I posted this here though as even if I was wrong, this is a common problem on A8's and now perhaps this will help a few people realise there this problem is there and how to cure it.
Overall, it took about 30 minutes of faffing around in the garage and I although it has yet to throw it down, I hope this has cured my soggy passengers.

Now all I have to fix is the passenger wing mirror (peeled antiglare film), the CD changer (not working - coming up with Error on the dash and its not even bothering to load the disks), the rear tow eye cover (snapped retainer) and my Quattrosport will be after a wash and a valet, mint again.

Thank you for pointing out this Botangs hole though... very helpful.