View Single Post
Old 4th March 2020, 06:04 AM

My 2c on fuel pump replacement:

1. Never do the long bolt up too tight - this is critical. Overtightening of the long bolt will deform the plastic surrounding the captive nut at the bottom. The nut will come loose in the plastic, and good luck ever getting that bolt undone again!

It's easy to judge by feel, you can feel it compressing the rubber on the metal/rubber "arched window" gasket, then when it contacts the metal it goes hard. Stop tightening right there - DO NOT TORQUE IT DOWN!

2. Metal rubber gasket.
On my car, I replaced this and the o-ring. But the price on this little kit has gone up significantly since I did mine.
My philosophy is to always renew seals on items like this, but I have to say that the gasket on my car was in very good condition, and could probably have been reused.
One suggestion I have seen was to use a rubber rejuvenating product (one with plasticisers such as ATP AT205) to soak the seal in overnight to soften and rejuvenate the seal.

3. Removing and reinstalling the pump assembly:
I've watched videos and read people's accounts of removing and reinstalling this pump.
It has a narrow area in the tank, which the assembly has to pass through as it goes in and out of the tank. People push, and pull, and twist, and rip this assembly out of the tank.
This is completely unnecessary.
The pump is shaped like a step, and to remove it you simply pull upwards, and then twist it around gently while pulling and remove it like a corkscrew. I think its anti-clockwise out, clockwise in, and about 180° of motion, but don't quote me!
It will come out easily, and if it doesnt, you're doing it wrong.
Just note it's orientation when removing so you know where to reinsert it. Once seated back in the tank, there are two triangles to line up (one on the tank hole and one on the pump assemnly top) and it should go there easily without force.

4. Inner tank pump housing recepticle:
This is the large housing inside the tank with all the suction hoses coming off it.
It has a hook, which hangs off the tank filler tube at the top centre of the tank. It's a bit like a plastic coat hanger, but very heavy duty.
Pump removal can knock this hook off the filler tube. If it does, you'll never get the pump assembly seated properly.
It's pretty easy to feel inside the tank for the hook and make sure it's over the filler tube (the filler tube runs roughly horizontal across the top of the tank, and feeds directly into the fuel pump bowl once it's installed).

Marty

Replacement head coming arrived thanks to MJ
Silver with Black interior. All features as the '01, with the 'S' mode auto shifter. Dodgey rear tint (need to find a way to get rid of that).
Family:
2009 Volvo XC90 V8 R Design
- has a louder more obnoxious exhaust than the S8, sounds great! Love this thing - Q7 was double the price, and certainly not double the car!

Sold:
1997 Audi A4
- Hamilton's Club Sport, Achat Grey (will miss the old girl)