View Single Post
Old 2nd November 2015, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 47p2 View Post
Get of the forum and go out and enjoy then
I took your advice and we popped out and enjoyed it some more, also Saturday I got it out again and went to scarefest at Alton towers in it, it made the journey so much more tolerable, you just melt in the 8's seats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mechcanico Lee View Post
Good job man , we used to do alot of this type of work , heads off vehicles that know other garages wanted to take on , there just so long winded though and it was hard to get your hours out of the job , loads of time is cleaning faces and getting old gaskets off and so on as you know , well done for sticking at it.

With the glow plug issue , do the glows actually do a timed flash when the engines cold , loads of the common rail stuff especially with piezo injectors they don't even do a flash or don't flash until the temp goes under -6 degrees or such like , I believe they can flash on the over run or for use when the engine goes into regen modes , suppose if you want rid of the flashing glow light they would have to be done or pull the reporting wire out of the glow relay .

We have a mobile engineer bloke who we call out if we get snapped glow plugs or other broken studs and the likes ,don't know whether you ever worked on Merc cdi diesels , they have a great long 6mm diameter torx key that hold the injectors in , it's about 80 mm long , there a bassa for snapping off in the head , I've seen him drill all the way down it stepping up sizes till its at the original thread , if I tried it would just be broke drills jamming up the hole !

Good post , keep us informed how it settles down
Thanks

It's very time consuming, it swallowed up 5 long days and even though I could of skipped quite a bit and fitted it back dirty, whilst I was doing it I may as well of got it all cleaned up too, and it'll help it run better in the long term as your aware

The glow plugs I was under the impression they where used for a cleaner start up and also "afterglow" so continue to run for a few minutes once started, I'm not sure though, I'm apprehensive of taking out the other side as if one does break by accident the other head will more than likely come off, either that or a bore scope and a vacuum with a small hose attached but it's not guaranteed to get everything out.

I have all the new beru plugs at home waiting to be fitted, and a can of plus gas and I'll just take my time, I was going to do it the weekend but I was tired and I need to be 100% on the ball to do this job, I can't live with the flashing light, and I couldn't just trick it to thinking it's ok neither, so new metal plugs and a software flash are my only options

Last edited by Burnzybubbles; 2nd November 2015 at 08:23 AM.