View Single Post
Old 19th October 2017, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlynH View Post
It doesn't appear to be affecting much other than the A8/S8 as I asked the Master Tech here at Northampton Audi this morning and only this morning he setup Google Earth display in a different model Audi.

I can't remember which model he was referring to but as I expect to see him before I leave I will ask the question.

Also as my car is in having the MMI updated then by default I will probably end up with factory settings and that in itself might be enough to prod GE back into life...we shall see.

My problem was that my MMI 3G+ was only ever displaying 2G even though I have an O2 4G capable SIM in it. I realise it will never obtain a 4G connection but before it was updated last time it did apparently display 3G although that was with a GiffGaff SIM.

The Master Tech here was going to try his GiffGaff SIM in my car as he knows it picks up 3G/4G in suitably equipped cars parked outside.

I would love to have a 4G/LTE connection and would gladly source a new 5F module but nobody can confirm that it would work in an A8.

Doesn't stop it being at the top of my retrofit list though!

-=Glyn=-
What year is your car? I had a new 5f fitted as the very early ones whilst technically supporting 3g, only supported a single waveband that has now been phased out in the UK for 4g services - hence would only ever connect at 2g speeds, as a hardware limitation.

Audi eventually picked up the tab for a new latest revision 5f to be fitted (about £3k), there isn't a D4 compatible 5f that supports 4g.

However the radio is a sub-component in the 5f unit, so can be changed (not by Audi, aftermarket). I had a price (£100's) to put a 3g radio in my old 5f, not sure if there are any 4g ones but it is possible (I couldn't find the right form factor at the time, probably need an adapter card).

Also potentially fit a 5f unit from an A6/A7 that would support LTE - but then I suspect you would have other issues....