View Single Post
Old 30th May 2022, 07:34 PM

Well I've asked for a number of things in writing and they have acknowledged that request and said they will progress it, i.e. nothing (yet) is deemed unreasonable.
In summary there are said to be multiple problems, so:
1. Relevant data from onboard diagnostics, with time/date stamps. When were the first symptoms recorded? (Presumably examined at annual services)
2. Volvo head office explanation of what happened in what sequence?
3. Detailed breakdown of work and costs (parts/labour) so far incurred and Volvo agreed contributions to those.
4. Same breakdown and contribution offer re recommended work (i.e. new engine) and what warranty will apply.
5. Analysis of overlapping/duplicated/superfluous work if engine is replaced (e.g. components already changed, serviced, etc.) and how that will be treated.
6. Explanation from Volvo of why they have offered only a 60% contribution so far and to what exactly that applies.

I've reminded them that they've taken nearly 3 months to get here and I've done nothing to delay them!
Car will be SORN'ed after tomorrow and they know that.

I need to check what legal advice I can get, but I need everything in writing anyway.

Edit. It seems my Motor policy on the Volvo may provide some initial help:
Motor Legal Advice Helpline
You have access to a 24-hour legal advice helpline based in the UK – providing confidential legal advice on any legal matter relating to the use of your vehicle (e.g.
private vehicle sale).
There are no consultation fees; all you pay for is the phone call.
(Just need to find the number to call......)
2003 D2 FL S8. Irish Green Pearl/Beige. Solar sunroof, auto-dim mirrors, electric rear seat functions, ski hatch retrofit; extended leather. Aftermarket DVB-T, reversing camera and full XCarlink (Bluetooth etc.).
2016 Volvo V40 T5 Cross Country (4WD) with ALL the toys including adaptive cruise etc. etc. Osmium Grey with Blonde/Charcoal leather interior. Polestar performance "optimisation". (A much rarer model than a D2 S8 by the way!) Oh, and a brand new engine at just under 30,000 miles on the factory one!
Finally: gone, but not forgotten.....
1998 D2 PF S8. AgateGrey/Platinum. Every option (I think) except electric rear seats, tiptronic steering wheel, ski hatch, towbar & dimming door mirrors.
e.g. Cruise control, NavPlus/TV, Bose, GSM, Xenons, Solar roof, Parking sensors, Alcantara/leather everywhere of course. (internal dimming mirror added later)
1998 (very early) Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec; ABS/TCS, Heated screen/mirrors, Aircon, Auto-dim mirror, Leather, Trip computer, Cruise control, OEM Ford SatNav with CD changer.
And before that a lot of Rover 800s, a few oddities, a lovely Triumph Dolomite 1850HL with Overdrive and way back in my schooldays an Austin Seven aka Mini 850!

Last edited by HPsauce; 30th May 2022 at 07:48 PM.