View Single Post
Old 26th January 2009, 10:08 PM

Default 2000 3.7L QS Facelift Detail

Hi,

i've posted these threads on various different forums before but with this dedicated A8 forum out now, i thought i'd repost this again as it seems appropriate! It's literally just copying and pasting what i wrote which in some cases was over 1 year ago so apologies if the timings seem confusing...

Thanks,

-Oli

Hi,

Just wanted to show off what my mate and I achieved on the weekend. Just a bit of background...

My car is a Audi A8 with 163k miles on the clock. I've owned it for 10 months and when i got it, it had extremely heavy swirls in the paintwork. After reading a lot about it all, my mate and i split the costs on getting all the products including the Megs G220. After many weekends of poor weather, yesterday was the day we decided to get to work. It also just so happen to be after i drove to Holland and back so the 8 was in extra need of some lovin'

Products used were

Megs APC
Snowfoam
CG citrus shampoo
Sonus green clay
Menz 3.02
Menz 1.06
Car Lack
Collinite 476
Megs Endurance Tyre gel
Megs trim detailer
AG glass cleaner

This was our first time doing this and it took a full 2 days and we didn't even touch the interior. The hardness of the Audi paint is astonishing and it took multiple passes before the swirls came out....but they are out now and it looks amazing! The area i'm most pleased with is the front bumper which really showed its colour after the work.

Here are some of the pics of the process.

Many thanks for reading!

-Oli

And so the cleaning began....with some snowfoam!

After having fully clayed the car (no pics unfortunately - i forgot) we started machine polishing using the G220 - A great tool and very user friendly.

It was however not without a few learnings along the way... taking a polisher past an aerial will literally rip the pad to shreds...but we quickly resumed without delay.

After having gone over the paint twice and using the 3.02 due to the harshness of the Audi paint, this is what we ended the day with!