View Single Post
Old 27th September 2019, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Tesla doesn’t provide lifetime warranty for battery (only 8 years warranty) and that kills any desire to invest 30k+ in 5 years old Tesla. I can only image how much needs to be spent for battery replacement when it fails.
Yes, battery is a big problem on electric cars, I believe new one for Tesla is about £10k.

I was looking to see if there is something cheap that will do 100 miles on charge. Nissan Leaf came closest, new models will do 100 miles on charge, old ones only did 50-60 on full charge when new. I was looking at the cheapest ones starting at £6k, 8 years old batteries are only about half capacity and only do 30 miles to charge. New battery is £5k or £2.5k for refurbished. The refurbished is still built from used good cells as the cells do not fail all at the same time, they scrap(or recycle) bad ones and use the good ones to rebuild batteries. They are still old cells so I would be surprised if refurbished battery last much more than 2 years. Another option is to lease a battery, for Leaf I found battery for £79/month up to 7500 miles per year, or £129/month up to 15k miles. And still would be only about 60 miles per charge on the old Leaf.

Cannot see it working for me, £2k buys you nicer internal combustion car and if I spend £4k in fuel in 2 years I will still be better off after 2 years than buying old Leaf, and I cannot see myself buying 30k car and even less so used unless I earn £100k+ per year. 1-2 months wage for a car seems about right for me.

8 history:
2006 A8 Sport 4.2TDI quattro SOLD,
1997 S8, reached end of life with gearbox failure

Last edited by ainarssems; 27th September 2019 at 08:56 AM.