Thread: FL D2 S8 prices
View Single Post
Old 8th March 2020, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moltuae View Post
In my mind, that's one of the reasons why they should be changing hands for more than they do. If it wasn't for transmission failures there would probably be a lot more of them left on the road. As a result they're a very rare beast and most of the remaining examples will have had lots of money spent on them to keep them on the road. I know I have personally spent the value of my car several times over in my ten years of ownership.

Taking running costs and rarity into account, I think a fairer price for a good example should be in excess of £40K. There are many vehicles less rare than the D2 S8 (less remarkable vehicles too, in my opinion) that change hands for far more money. But most of the remaining D2s are currently around 20 years old or younger, which doesn't quite give them that 'classic' status, yet. Demand seems to be a little higher than supply right now, but psychologically, to most people, they're still just a big old Audi. I think in 5-10 years, when most of the remaining cars will have passed that magical 25-year milestone, values might be quite different.
I understand these cars are slowly getting rarer and rarer but come on with auto trans that isn't that reliable and I don't care how well it's been serviced there is a chance where it'll fail. So this is why I don't get why these cars ask for high money or sell for high money. If these cars came with a very good robost reliable auto trans then I can understand the high prices.