View Single Post
Old 7th September 2017, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOR_KNet View Post
replace all 4 top door chrome trims (found an easy way without removing the window frame) - 1 already replaced

Any more details regarding this? How-to?

Regards
Kenneth
Well, easier than removing and realigning the window frame.
There are 5 or 6, can't remember now, plastic clips.
Last one, front, is well tucked in inline with the bolt holding the wing mirror more less.
Take a 5mm wide flat head screwdriver, min 25cm long, bend the flat end about 2mm off centre and it will allow you to access the last fixing. Bend end makes it much easier to pull out the middle plastic pin/rivet, whatever is called.
I can get some pics later on if you want.

Obviously you have to remove the door's alu insert panel so you've got just the door shell left. You need it off anyway no matter which method you will use.
When you remove all plastic ''rivets'' (reusable) trim just pops off.
When refitting you dont need to put back the tricky clip/rivet back because wing mirror sits on top of the chrome trim holding it down.
Trim it self is very rigid due to chunky base made from a hard plastic and i checked if it flaps without the wing mirror and it doesn't, you'll fit the mirror anyway.
It's almost impossible to refit the last clip, I say almost because I believe it's possible if you find the fairly easy way to do it.

Similar situation with the rears, but I'll know for sure when I get the back ones swapped. There seems to be a bit more room around the last clip so there is a chance of putting all the clips back on.

2006 D3 S8 5.2 V10
Ceramic Brakes, Bang&Olufsen, DTV, DAB, Rear Camera, BT, TPMS, Soft Close, Auto Boot, AMI , 4 Zone AC, Home Link, All Electric Blinds, Fingerprint, Ski Hatch, Black Extended Leather, Heated Sport Seats, Alacantra, Carbon Trim inc Aluminium Pack 2.
2015 A3 S line 1.4 TFSI - for the missus to keep her away from my car.
Standard S-line equipment, no extras.
2006 D3 A8 3.7 V8 - SOLD but not forgotten