View Single Post
Old 28th September 2017, 12:43 PM

Hi all! I've had a 1998 A8 since 2010-ish (140,000 miles) so have been lurking around this forum for some time looking for info on gearbox problems, bits of trim, gearbox problems, the odd replacement window, and gearbox problems. It's getting to the time to trade up, and I'm looking very keenly at Richard's car. It looks awesome, and I do around 2,000 miles a year so it could live out a long and happy life in my car park whilst I listen to the radio and marvel at the engineering. The problem I find is that nobody will sell you any sort of warranty once mileage tips over 150,000. If it literally 'threw a rod' I'd find myself on ebay.de typing in "Audi S8 5.2 motor" and tapping my pockets looking for around £8k, and if I was the kind of person who could comfortably soak up an £8k bill I'd probably be spending more than £8k on a car, if you see what I mean.

Question is, what is the worst that can happen? I hear stories about injectors sticking open and cooking the engine, and one where parts literally left the engine. Piston slap??? Something that takes out the catalysts? I can't get a feel as to whether these 'catastrophe level' things are common enough to worry about.

Or am I just looking in the wrong place for a warranty? Thanks all!