View Single Post
Old 30th July 2018, 06:43 PM

Hey great info cheers,I wish I had VCDS to test it to be honest to test it, it could be my imagination but does seem to be a small improvement, however like you say it could be compensating for this restriction. I agree a full blank might be a good test even if it does put the EML light on the plates only £3 worth a stab, I know a more permanent solution would be mapping it out just thought I'd give it a go

Quote:
Originally Posted by ainarssems View Post
I am not sure these restrictor plates do much or anything at all on modern engines which determine how much EGR is open based on measured airflow. If something is blocking EGR flow and metered airflow is too high ECU will just open EGR valve more, if the air flow or EGR duty cycle is out of tolerance sit will throw error code. Have a look at measuring blocks in VCDS for specified and actual airflow and EGR duty cycle. If the specified and actual airflow ar close together you have not made much difference on amount of EGR entering engine, if the EGR duty cycle % is high it means ECU is opening EGR valve more to meet the specifications. It would have been great for comparison if you had a log before and after fitting plate.

Restrictor plates were working for older cars like 1.9TDI where EGR was only mapped in ECU as duty cycle and not as specified airflow on newer cars. Basically on old cars ECU just looked at the map and choose EGR duty cycle depending on rpm and injected fuel quantity and did not care about airflow, on newer cars it looks up required airflow depending on rpm and injected quantity and then adjusts EGR valve duty cycle to meet specified airflow value.

You can turn off or reduce EGR by remapping ECU and on some ECUs you can adjust it through adaptation with VCDS as well.