Thread: Wiper linkage
View Single Post
Old 29th January 2021, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sit down, Waldo View Post
Needs replacing unfortunately. The wipers had been functioning, albeit very slowly. What are my options here?
I had the same problem with the wipers working very, very slowly. Had to run them on full speed to 'loosen' them up a bit to get anything near a normal working tempo.

I removed the whole linkage, stripped it, cleaned it thoroughly and gently sanded the contacting moving parts with 1000-1500 wet and dry. Greased up the moving parts and refitted. A massive improvement. Sorry I didn't take any pictures during the refurb but here's some videos of the results. (I did manage to refit the whole thing 180 degrees out the first time - probably as a result of not taking any photos as I went! So the wipers tried to go down rather than up.) Also steeped the whole nozzle jet in limescale remover overnight and got my spray back to a good level. Think that's why I started it in the first place but got adventurous.

The middle securing bolt for the scuttle needed cutting off as the captive below it was spinning. Bit of an awkward replacement in place now with a 10mm nut below which now needs held with a particular spanner to remove. Picture here shows initial cable tie replacement attempt. Hey ho, worse has happened. Took the opportunity to give the scuttle a real good clean. Made quite a difference being able to get right in about it off the car.

Anyway, not a terribly difficult job if you've got the time, the space, the patience and the attention to detail to put it all back together not 180 degrees out. Couple of circlips in there so you'll need to have the right pliers for them. Yes, I've definitely got 'the slap' on high speed but it seems to work for now at a decent tempo so a worthwhile fix if you've not other option.

Will be having a look at the replacement bushings place myself mentioned earlier here.

Best of luck.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20200423_154209.jpg
Views:	457
Size:	316.3 KB
ID:	25332  
Attached Files
File Type: mp4 20200423_175824.mp4 (52.85 MB, 537 views)
File Type: mp4 20200423_145328.mp4 (18.59 MB, 463 views)

2009 A8 4.2 FSi LWB - Marine Blue - 164k miles. Extras? Too many to list. But I do like the Rear Seat Entertainment . . . . . .

477k miles to the moon and back. 238k to go and between them they'll have made it!