View Single Post
Old 2nd January 2018, 11:20 AM

If you are on a mac you can also remote access your computer back at home via their bundled services.

Personally I have a synology NAS box (DS211J) hooked up and run my ip cameras into that, it has a surveillance station facility and all my files that I need remotely are on that too, with two drives in mirror mode its a good backup solution as well.

Synology have a pile of tools available to help remote access, quick connect, etc... regardless of IP.

If you want specific IP access at home to your PC you may want to go down the fixed IP route from your ISP.

with regards to VPNs make sure you get one that legally means they dont hold records on what you do when you use their services and can hand them over to authorities or whatever if requested, not for anything nefarious, but if you want to be anonymous and protect your web experience, why would you want it logged. A lot of UK and US companies log VPN use, personally I use AirVPN which doesn't and considering I do a lot of work in China and the Middle East where the web is censored heavily I prefer to protect myself and still have access to the services I need for business.