View Single Post
Old 6th January 2019, 07:50 PM

To be honest I hadn't thought to look in the tech dump for info on the AC. I sent a fair bit of time reading the instructions (from the tech dump) for removing the engine and then stripping it down to replace the timing chains etc. It did mention in several places splitting AC pipes though.

If it is possible to do the job without doing so I would prefer that but as the front end needs to come off I think it's unlikely. The compressor itself can stay on the engine although it would probably need to come off to take the head off anyway.

Removing the rubber blocks would be a way forward though. I shall look into that.

Of course, it could all be not needed as the engine might well be too far gone to save anyway. Valves and rockers are cheap enough, but if it ends up having a cracked head then it's probably toast. If it's aluminium I could weld it if its an accessible crack but if its internal then obviously I can't. Also if it has cracked a piston then I really am screwed. When you start adding up the cost of all the parts, and then all the sundries, loil seals, gasket sets blah blah i'll be spending more than I'd be losing by scrapping the car. I just won't know until the engine is out and stripped apart!
1990 Land Rover 90 factory county station wagon with all the luxury additions, such as a clock and a tape player.
2007 A4 3.0TDi s-line cabriolet quattro
2000 A8 D2 2.8 quattro, looking for a new home - gone
2003 A6 3.0 quattro, in the way... anyone want any parts? - gone