View Single Post
Old 3rd September 2020, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikkiJayne View Post
Since the gearbox is working nicely, the sump isn't leaking, and the ATF is in good condition, we're leaving that alone for now. I'll just top it up once everything is back together and a full fluid change can be a job for the sucky-pumpy-squirty machine at some point in the future.
Well, didn't that come full circle and bite me on the arse a mere 10k miles later

After retrieving BR from storage, I noticed a shudder in from the gearbox in D around the point where the converter clutch should lock up. Whilst studiously ignoring this and driving everywhere in S, reverse then stopped working too. Reverse was just an F125 fault as it could be persuaded to work by holding the gear stick in a particular position between R and P. I have a box full of repaired F125s so I thought I'd spend a couple of hours on Saturday swapping that over, and pretend the shudder was just my imagination.

But, as I mentioned waaay back at the beginning of this thread, the V6 is a packaging horror compared to the V8, and on the FL2 2.8, the upper cat is in the way of the gearbox mount which in turn is in the way of the F125, so the downpipe has to come off. It was about this point where everything went very very wrong:

Yes, thats a snapped stud There is no way that can be repaired in the car so...

that escalated quickly At least it wasn't oily this time.

Once the engine was out I was able to safely apply some heat to the other downpipe nuts and they all came off without too much of a fight, and then I could get to the F125:

The usual burnt contacts, but this time only on the reverse terminal for the TCU. This can be cleaned and recovered and put back together, but I'll use a known-good one from stock in this instance because I don't want to be taking it apart again.

Since the gearbox is misbehaving, and its now on the floor, I might as well replace it
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	br-3.jpg
Views:	539
Size:	57.0 KB
ID:	23840   Click image for larger version

Name:	BR-1.jpg
Views:	538
Size:	92.8 KB
ID:	23841   Click image for larger version

Name:	br-2.jpg
Views:	519