Thread: Broadband Speed
View Single Post
Old 4th March 2019, 09:00 AM

Been on Virgin for a while and getting north of 380Mbps on my PC which is ethernetted into the Superhub 3 modem/router directly. Happy with that speed.

The Superhub is the weakest thing about Virgin. The MAC address filter just doesn't work - never has, appartently known issue - there is none of the parental control stuff on the router itself and I don't think the wifi has great coverage.

I work from home a few days in the week and have a bit of a home office in a garden cabin. I would say it's only 10 metres from the Superhub but the speed on a PC in there drops to about 40-60Mbps, even on the 5Ghz wifi network.

While I appreciate this is better than a lot of folk get to their house, it's not the 380 I get indoors - I am getting the odd dropout and streaming is not always glitch-free.

I tell you all that to tell you this:

Last week I took delivery of a Netgear R9000 router. I was hoping it would push out a stronger wifi signal. Well it did. I was seeing around 100-120 Mbps outside. The thing is - from the minute I switched it on, I got a headache. Like a dull tingling in my sinus and temples. When I powered it off, it went instantly.

It's the same when I enable the wifi hotspot on my phone (a Pixel) - I am sure it can't be doing me any good. I have googled it and there is conflicting data (like anything else on the internet) but I am sure about the headache. I couldn't live with it as I would be sleeping directly above it. I could feel the headache in the office outside.

It's definitely the wifi I am sensitive to - I guess the Virgin box isn't pushing it out enough for me to notice, or I have got numb to that. But just wondering if anyone else here gets the same symptoms? Some reports say the condition "Can't exist".

I've had to return it to Amazon the morning after taking delivery.