View Single Post
Old 22nd December 2014, 12:54 PM
RIP 27/02/2021 :-(

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yas View Post
Hi all, thanks again for your replies, however I have an update.

As well as the shifter lights lighting up all at once and the gearbox going into limp mode there have/has been some other strange problems.
I haven't had the car for long and since purchasing it, the parking sensors had a mind of there own and mostly wouldn't work properly. But a few times they did, which I thought was strange. I had the car scanned on VCDS and nothing came up.

Then last weekend my wife and I loaded the kids into the car and push chair in the boot etc, then I tried to start the car and there wasn't enough power to turn the engine over!
Now I don't know how old the battery is (Bosch S4), but as I use the car only at weekends I thought it would be best to just get a new battery and save the messing about.
So I bought a top of the range Exide Premium (1000CCA) and all of a sudden my parking sensors are working all the time without fail and the gearbox isn't going into limp mode anymore which is great, but I don't want to speak too soon!

So my conclusion is that the voltage from the battery wasn't up to scratch and in turn caused some electrical issues.
Has anyone else had a similar problem?

I would check that the battery is getting properly charged. There may be voltage regulation or charging problems.

Never had any similar problem with any of my '8s, but I did experience something similar with a previous car I owned (an XM) that had battery and alternator problems. The battery slowly discharged one day while driving and the car exhibited all sorts of weird faults as the supply voltages to each ECU began to dip and fluctuate. A new battery and alternator fixed it.
------------------------------------------------------

------------------------------------------------------
Cars Owned:
The Tesla Era: 2020 Model S Performance Ludicrous+ (present)
(Black, with all black premium interior and carbon fibre décor, 21" sonic carbon twin turbine wheels and FSD capability)

The Audi Era: '97 A8 4.2 (Ming Blue) --> '96 A8 4.2 QS (Dark Green) --> '02 FE S8 (present)
The Citroen Era: '84 BX 1.6 RS --> '89 BX 1.9 DTR Turbo --> '94 XM 2.0L Turbo --> '96 XM 2.0L Turbo Exclusive --> '00 Xantia Activa 2.0L Turbo
The Banger Era: '76 1.2L Lada VAZ-2101 (Ruski Fiat 124) --> '80 1.7L Morris Ital HL, finished in Ermine White and Rust