View Single Post
Old 22nd April 2024, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conan_the_Librarian View Post
Having had a wee 'bump' in the last year my second in a 5 year period my premium shot up from £325 to £765! I cancelled the policy as the S8 is SORN ATM. Just out of curiosity, as I'm probably only going to do a few outings this year I looked at short term cover. 4 day weekend £156. Given I'm only going to use it a few times, that would be cheaper so I think I'll do that.

Where did you look for short term cover and how would it work regarding road tax?

I briefly checked it couple of years ago and most short term covers were meant for additional cover for the car that is already insured, for example if I would borrow car from friend from a weekend or if I wanted to do test drive car I was looking to buy but would not cover car owned by me that is not insured by anybody else.

And if you don't have insurance then you have to declare car SORN. To get tax the car needs to be insured first but in my experience databases does not update instantly so if you want to tax the same day you get insurance it does not work online, you need to go to Post Office. Then you need to declare SORN when insurance runs out after 4 days but they take full months cost for road tax.

My biggest problem is that there are not many 3rd party only insurance offers so no competition on 3rd party only insurance and very high prices, often 3rd party only is more expensive than comprehensive. I am not really interested in insuring my car, I just want 3rd party cover. For example when I was last living in Latvia in 2003-2004 the 3rd party insurance for 9 year old A6 2.8 was around £50 and the insurance for car would have bee separate policy and would have cost around £200-250 but I never had it.

8 history:
2006 A8 Sport 4.2TDI quattro SOLD,
1997 S8, reached end of life with gearbox failure