View Single Post
Old 15th January 2021, 07:14 PM

I have tried a lot of aftermarked HID and LED lights in my cars but they all have some issues. LEDs are definitely better and there are no major problems with high beam and larger bulbs like H7 or 9005 as they are only on for short periods of time and bigger body helps with heat dissipation but dipped beam H1 are too small, lower light output and does not last beacause they overheat. Only problem with LEDs in high beam reflector is that light output is not uniform, you get some lighter and some darker spots.

I have a project lined up, I bought a 2017 Quasqai LED headlight for £20 including shipping on ebay for research and they are often available for a similar price. The good news are that there are no fancy electronics in them just straight power connection so easy to connect. Downside is that projector unit is only dipped beam with full beam separate. Dipped beam should be pretty easy to trasnfer projector unit over, I don't think it uses standard Hella mounting points for straight swap-over but should be easy enough to fabricate adapter plate. A bit harder if you want to use full beam from them as well.

As its all designed together light source and projector unit it should work well without dazzling other road users and the LEDs should be decent quality with good CRI and also suitable heat dissipation so should last long time unlike most aftermarket.

PS

Here is a short video of my A6 with aftermarket LED bulbs for both dipped and full beam. It's just dipped at the very start and then switch over to full beam. You can see in video what I mean about dark and bright spots. It's a wmv file as size limit on forum for .avi is too small. To be honest dipped beam is not much improvement over halogen but full beam is much better. For some reason my Windows 10 default built in media player does not play it but it works fine with VLC player.
Attached Files
File Type: wmv Untitled 3.wmv (19.54 MB, 361 views)

8 history:
2006 A8 Sport 4.2TDI quattro SOLD,
1997 S8, reached end of life with gearbox failure

Last edited by ainarssems; 15th January 2021 at 07:38 PM.