Thread: Lifting an S8
View Single Post
Old 8th June 2023, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reyxlp View Post
Hi,

Thank you for posting all of this! Trying to navigate my own version of this issue, hoping this solution can work for me, too, with a Quickjack here in the US.

Called around a few steel suppliers local to me. None of them knew what "RHS" was, until one shop said, "You mean, 'Rectangular Tubing?' and in the brochure they sent me it's listed as "Carbon Steel Mechanical & Structural, Rectangular Tubing."

Does this sound like equivalent material to what you used?

They aren't listed in metric here but when I did the conversion, the closest standard sizing they have would be a 2" x 4" x 1/4" -- all just slightly larger/thicker (so, presumably, no less strong?) than the 50x100x5 dimensions you used in mm.

Appreciate anyone willing to chime in with more informed perspective/experience, in case I'm missing something.

Thanks!
Should be good with what you found, sizing is similar so a# you say shouldn’t be much different in terms of strength.

For reference RHS in U.K. is Rectangular Hollow Section so ‘rectangular tubing’
1990 2.3 20v 7a Coupe Quattro

**SOLD** 1996 2.6 v6 cabriolet, Isis red metallic
**DEAD ** 2009 D3, 3.0tdi sport, black

Had a few Audis over the years, mostly early stuff, newest was a D3 prior to my D4, nothing much kept me smitten with other marques so I floated about a bit from one thing to another until that four ring lure caught hold

Last edited by monkeyboyuk; 8th June 2023 at 10:15 PM.