View Single Post
Old 16th July 2018, 07:23 AM

If you're in the Golf-sized market have a look at what we have for our daily/runaround - Volvo V40. More options and better interiors than the golf.
We both love the adaptive cruise, though the automatic parking is a bit superfluous; I've only ever used it once, just to test it.

Ours has all the things you mention (and many more), very comfortable seats, 4WD (OK, Torsen but V5 which works very well) and is faster than the S8!
With the Polestar "optimisation" I've had done it's seriously "driveable" and has an 8-speed proper auto (not DSG).
Oh, and did I mention we also love the memory seats, being rather different heights?

Only downside is that the boot is a bit small and the rear seats WILL fit 3 adults but are really configured for 2 in comfort.

And if you're buying new the top-power 4WD T5 which we have seems to have disappeared, though there are a few used ones around.
I think that's down to planning/preparation for a new V40 range "coming soon" plus positioning against the recent launch of the XC40.

Of course the XC40 is another one to look at; similar footprint but more space inside being taller and better-packaged. That does have the T5 AWD Automatic option.
2003 D2 FL S8. Irish Green Pearl/Beige. Solar sunroof, auto-dim mirrors, electric rear seat functions, ski hatch retrofit; extended leather. Aftermarket DVB-T, reversing camera and full XCarlink (Bluetooth etc.).
2016 Volvo V40 T5 Cross Country (4WD) with ALL the toys including adaptive cruise etc. etc. Osmium Grey with Blonde/Charcoal leather interior. Polestar performance "optimisation". (A much rarer model than a D2 S8 by the way!) Oh, and a brand new engine at just under 30,000 miles on the factory one!
Finally: gone, but not forgotten.....
1998 D2 PF S8. AgateGrey/Platinum. Every option (I think) except electric rear seats, tiptronic steering wheel, ski hatch, towbar & dimming door mirrors.
e.g. Cruise control, NavPlus/TV, Bose, GSM, Xenons, Solar roof, Parking sensors, Alcantara/leather everywhere of course. (internal dimming mirror added later)
1998 (very early) Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec; ABS/TCS, Heated screen/mirrors, Aircon, Auto-dim mirror, Leather, Trip computer, Cruise control, OEM Ford SatNav with CD changer.
And before that a lot of Rover 800s, a few oddities, a lovely Triumph Dolomite 1850HL with Overdrive and way back in my schooldays an Austin Seven aka Mini 850!

Last edited by HPsauce; 16th July 2018 at 07:36 AM.