Thread: Has anyone....
View Single Post
Old 12th August 2020, 01:58 PM

Well, I’ve elected for a 2 year guaranteed aftermarket (not at all sporty) cat to replace the ailing unit. The cat Box itself is fractionally shorter and has a little smaller diameter So clearly has a bit less actual cat material. Just the process of unbolting the manifold and slowly withdrawing the old unit was enough to fracture the flex joint so it was hanging together with good luck. Astonishingly the manifold studs (2 of which we little more than a nub left after the nut) all came undone without snapping which made something I was expecting to be a mare of a job replacing the studs a darn sight easier. That being said if anyone wants help to tackle the passenger side cat on a 2.8 whilst laid on their back unfortunately...erm... I’m busy washing my hair.....

The price of a flexi and then having it put into a 20+ year old (and rusty) old pipe wasn’t a much of a saving on the aftermarket, would have made the car unusable for a few days and as the cat may have been already on its last legs I think a new shiny option was wisest. I can always have this old one repaired now it’s off the car if I want. The aftermarket fitted very well, it was lacking the after cat resonator box (originals had a very tiny box just after the cat?) but is perfectly quiet and sealed up ok and on the test drive I had (manufacturer recommends a gentle drive of 8 or so miles to heat cycle the cat) no warning lights, funny smells, rattles or otherwise. Hopefully next MoT will show nice shiny emissions but for the surprisingly low price I paid, I’ve no complaints thus far.

PF late '97 D2 2.8 Aluminium Silver. Solar roof, Full Heated Leather, Double Glazing, 17" wheels, Sports Steering Wheel, Cruise, Blinds, Bose sound.

Fiat Tipo diseasel econobox with all the buttons and none of the soul that now does all the heavy lifting.

Ford Capri Laser: noisy, slow, thirsty, bouncy, no buttons but it always sounds like it’s REALLY trying and I can’t help but chuckle when it parps and boings along. And people of a certain age stare at it with a wistful look in their eyes that clearly says…I had one of them. And I sold it because of the kids