View Single Post
Old 2nd October 2017, 03:27 PM

Default headlight restoration

I know there is a thread below about this but the pictures are photobucket and no longer there. As I have just done this job I thought I would post up some pics.

My headlights were cloudy when I bought the car, so before even getting the car I bought a headlight restoration kit. It is the Autoglym restoration kit.

It comes with a drill attachment, and enough abrasive pads to do both lights. 3 each off 800 grit, 3 each of 1500, and a 2000 and a 3000 grit pad plus a buffer pad, polish and a microfibre cloth.

I gave the light a wash first, then dried it. Then mask off the light really well. Medium pressure side to side and up and down starting with the 800 grit and working down till you eventually get to the polish stage. It takes patience. I think my drill is maybe just a touch too fast as well as I ended up with some plastic dust melting into the light, just tiny spots but they went brown. I ended up having to use some quite abrasive sand paper to get rid of them and start back at the 800 grit in that area.

Im quite happy with the result, and you can see from the pics taken from above how close it is to the original clear plastic. I reckon I could have taken just a little bit more time to get a better job. I had a friend coming to visit so I was against the clock.

What I need to do now is get some clear lacquer to seal the light and stop it getting UV damaged again. i have some halfrauds stuff that I used for the the headlamp scoosher cover on the D2 which didnt melt the plastic so Im hoping it will be OK on the lights. Bit worried to use it though!

Will do the other lamp tomorrow!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	aglym.jpg
Views:	447
Size:	408.2 KB
ID:	17124   Click image for larger version

Name:	headlamp1.jpg
Views:	394
Size:	471.9 KB
ID:	17125   Click image for larger version

Name:	headlamp2.jpg