View Single Post
Old 7th August 2017, 01:16 PM

Default For what it's worth

I had a not too dissimilar experience with my blower motor. My car has the solar panel sunroof and has had the REST function disabled for 2-3 years after it started making the usual groaning noises. The blower motor started to operate in a rather feeble fashion about a week or two before it seemed to give up the ghost. I did jiggle the electrical connectors which had a small effect on the fan/blower rotation speed but nothing of any real substance. My fan/blower also occasionally demonstrated the same behaviour reported by Dezzy, in that the speed increased when turning corners.

The fan itself gave out eventually so I replaced it with a unit from our beloved forum's sponsors. I asked for a unit to be supplied from a non-solar panel equipped car, for obvious reasons. I would tend to agree with Ainars that it's probably going to be worth replacing the unit. I was told at the time that the fan/blower on solar roof-equipped cars always tend to stop working. I did inspect both units at the time and couldn't see a massive difference on the copper ring that is split into multiple sections (commutator.) I assumed therefore that the fan/blower had burnt out the brushes rather than the commutator.