View Single Post
Old 30th January 2014, 01:07 PM

The reason why I'm in the middle of retrofitting AFS is coz stupidly halogen lights were chosen when new.
I was thinking about 199pounds Philips HID full kit one, Philips, two, 199 gives you more peace of mind than 40-90quid kit.
But after over a year making my minds up I got a pair of Bi-Xenon AFS Cornering DRL headlights just to be fully legal, and probably more for peace of mind, as then I will be able to retrofit self leveling lights.
Even if self leveling suspension ticks half of the box on the other side this does not work during car height adjustment, no reflection on the beam whatsoever when kit fitted as it doesnt of course offers motors inside the headlights.

Cost so far if you are unfortunate to have Halogens is not small.
2x AFS control units ££couple of hundreds
2x Xenon ballasts ££couple of hundreds
2x Headlights average £700, fully equipped good nick 1500+ but hard to get
1x KUFATEC bi-xenon&DRL harnes, can be done at home, now even I can do it for anyone after few purchases of some bits for this types of work. £50
1x Xenon range control unit, to be fitted behind the clocks (3 types, blue, grey, black 26pin plugs/connector) lucky 50pounds +, normally £100+, I was super lucky and got the latest one needed blue connector for £35
Various wires, I got a little extra but in total just over 50meters, 2 different sizes, 0.5 and 1, at least 7 colours, a lot of runs from under the bonnet to pilars a and b and behind the dash £20
Various electric terminal connectors from 19p a piece to 55p a piece, I invested few quid and I got in total 70 pounds of 10 different types of connectors from washers to can bus wiring, fuses connectors for the fuse boxes and 10s of other applications, but for the retorfit you will need I think 4-6pounds
2x cotton tapes £10
10x plug wire seals, £2
1x bracket £7
1x XRU plug blue £3

PLUS
new set of xenon bulbs more likely £70
2x H8 cornering £15+
makes sense to retrofit and recode LED DRLs and side lights, 15+22=£37
crimps x50 £5

Plus a lot of labour if you don't have a step by step guide printed out ( Available soon, as soon I finish it of course

AND then you are 100% legal and this is the real cost of it, but IF you fit a good kit, properly=professionally even by your self, you get the patter and lenght of the beam, then you should have no problems with MOT, spoke to 2 different stations (big MOT stations and 2 smaller ones and guys said same thing)
Then XRU will collect via 46pin can bus connector data from suspension but also from other components to have xenons always leveled safely, during the breaking, acceleration, change of suspension mode/height, turn if cornering lights etc.

Both, halogen and xenons have manual adjustment, 2 screws. In halogen headlights there was no motors at all, there was room and location for it but the only adjustment you can do was by 2 screws.
Dont think halogen D3 were ever motorised.

2006 D3 S8 5.2 V10
Ceramic Brakes, Bang&Olufsen, DTV, DAB, Rear Camera, BT, TPMS, Soft Close, Auto Boot, AMI , 4 Zone AC, Home Link, All Electric Blinds, Fingerprint, Ski Hatch, Black Extended Leather, Heated Sport Seats, Alacantra, Carbon Trim inc Aluminium Pack 2.
2015 A3 S line 1.4 TFSI - for the missus to keep her away from my car.
Standard S-line equipment, no extras.
2006 D3 A8 3.7 V8 - SOLD but not forgotten