View Single Post
Old 12th January 2014, 05:14 PM

To remove the light lense, remove the small bulb access flap. The bulbs are removed by turning them through 90 degrees and there is also another connector which just pulls off. The lense is held in place by four small bolts, three of which are easy to access. I chose to do it this way rather than removing the entire boot lid liner. Once the bolts have been removed, the lense will have to be pushed out. If it has never been out before, it will be very tight, just with the rubber seal around it being stuck to the metal.

Decide on where the centre of the camera will be, and then place a strip of masking tape or similar over it to protect it when drilling. Get it right and it looks like this:

To get the wires from the camera, I just used the same holesaw and drilled a hole at the back of the lense unit near the top of the reversing light section, again covering it with masking tape before drilling (and covering when done to keep light in).

Feed the wires from the camera through the front of the lense and then through the back. When fitting the camera into the hole, I only pushed it in halfway, so that I could first get the image straight on the screen.

At this stage, you can refit the lense to the car, ensuring you don't push the camera all the way in. Once secured, the camera needs power. I just took the black and red lead (on the right of the picture of all the pieces) and put them through the hole in the spade connector for the reversing light. Once that was done, I just taped them to the reversing wires and reconnected all the bulbs.

This only left the video lead to connect. To feed the lead up from the boot area, I removed three of the screws holding the boot lid liner in place.

Using a flexible rod (blue in pic), I fed the cable up inside the boot.

When the rod reaches the top, I just used some needle nose pliers to grab it and pull it out.

The lead simply plugs into the power lead coming from the reversing light, and just needs taping and tucked out of sight.

Now to test it. Closing the lid of the boot, I switched on the ignition, the RNS-D and selected AV1 input.

I then put it in reverse and got an image, along with parking lines.

Putting it in park, I then moved the camera and rechecked until I was happy that it was aligned properly.

Once I was happy, I just gently pushed the camera all the way into the lense.

Now I was happy with all that, I could screw down the boot lid liner and replace the bulb access cover.

Since I had the CD changer cage out to fit the cabling, and the cabling provided two RCA inputs, I decided to fit a digital TV box as well. Using the wiring instructions from this 'post' and in particular post 17 (thanks to HPsauce and notorious), I wired in the power leads and then taped it all up.

The TV box was again a cheap unit off 'eBay' and was placed using double sided tape to the top of the stack. The wire rising to the right is the video lead going to the camera.

I fed the aerial and IR receiver in through the rear armrest, with the aerial sitting on the rear parcel shelf and the IR receiver and remote in the rear armrest until such time as I get around to taking the wiring to the front (weather, patience and other wiring jobs that need done - fog light switches and radio clock module already ones to do). I'm in a lousy location for digital TV reception, so had to test it when I was doing taxi service and waiting for someone and it worked fine.

The only remaining thing left to do is to put the stack back in place and secure.

My DIY jobs - Replaced alarm horn, Replaced Coolant Temp sensor, Updated RNS-D firmware, Installed Reversing Camera and Digital TV, Dashcam Installation, Retrofitted Rear Blinds, Auto-Dimming Rear View Mirror, Chrome Boot Struts

Sold! 2008 S8 D3 5.2 V10 - Engine: BSM, Gearbox:KLW, Colour:LY7F Suzuka Grey Pearl Effect, Interior:Black/Black with Silver/Black valcona leather with carbon atlas inserts, Bang & Olufsen, Heated windscreen, Soft-close doors, TV, DAB, AMI, Quad Zone, Auto Boot, Auto dim Mirrors, Keyless entry, PDC with rearview camera, AFS II Headlights

My DIY jobs - Fan Jet Windscreen Washers, Retrofitted Electric Side Blinds