View Single Post
Old 8th November 2017, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete-p View Post
spreading the shield to increase the tension?
That's worth investigating, the outer shell of plugs like that usually has a gap, so I'll investigate and see if I can distort it slightly for a tighter fit.

As for tying or taping it in place, the location really does make that difficult.

I think the angle the RNS-D is mounted at, combined with vibration and tension from other cables in a very crowded area means it is almost doomed to work loose. Ideally it needs some sort of flip-over latch or clip to hold it, similar idea to the wire loops used to retain headlight bulbs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by moltuae View Post
So are you saying that the plug is working loose and coming out of the back of the set Andrew? I think I'd be tempted to just put a bit of hot-melt glue around it if that's the case. You can easily pick that stuff back off later if you need to unplug it again.
Yes Mark, that's exactly what happens and it needs to be firmly in to engage all the contacts properly.
2003 D2 FL S8. Irish Green Pearl/Beige. Solar sunroof, auto-dim mirrors, electric rear seat functions, ski hatch retrofit; extended leather. Aftermarket DVB-T, reversing camera and full XCarlink (Bluetooth etc.).
2016 Volvo V40 T5 Cross Country (4WD) with ALL the toys including adaptive cruise etc. etc. Osmium Grey with Blonde/Charcoal leather interior. Polestar performance "optimisation". (A much rarer model than a D2 S8 by the way!) Oh, and a brand new engine at just under 30,000 miles on the factory one!
Finally: gone, but not forgotten.....
1998 D2 PF S8. AgateGrey/Platinum. Every option (I think) except electric rear seats, tiptronic steering wheel, ski hatch, towbar & dimming door mirrors.
e.g. Cruise control, NavPlus/TV, Bose, GSM, Xenons, Solar roof, Parking sensors, Alcantara/leather everywhere of course. (internal dimming mirror added later)
1998 (very early) Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec; ABS/TCS, Heated screen/mirrors, Aircon, Auto-dim mirror, Leather, Trip computer, Cruise control, OEM Ford SatNav with CD changer.
And before that a lot of Rover 800s, a few oddities, a lovely Triumph Dolomite 1850HL with Overdrive and way back in my schooldays an Austin Seven aka Mini 850!

Last edited by HPsauce; 8th November 2017 at 09:00 AM.