Thread: RPM fluctations
View Single Post
Old 22nd December 2021, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcs View Post
I took apart the brake switch, it is a two position switch and it seems it is possible for it to misread occasionally or stick confusing the gearbox ecu.
If it's the same switch as a D2 (and it probably is) there's lots of comments in various threads about how it can be slightly misadjusted or stick and cause all sorts of weirdness.

IIRC one circuit is primarily for ECU information and the other for the brake lights (you may see more wear/scarring on those contacts) and the ECU one triggers first as the pedal is pressed.

It's possible to have the ECU think the brakes are applied without the brake lights being on or any actual retardation from them, but things then happen that are confusing.
2003 D2 FL S8. Irish Green Pearl/Beige. Solar sunroof, auto-dim mirrors, electric rear seat functions, ski hatch retrofit; extended leather. Aftermarket DVB-T, reversing camera and full XCarlink (Bluetooth etc.).
2016 Volvo V40 T5 Cross Country (4WD) with ALL the toys including adaptive cruise etc. etc. Osmium Grey with Blonde/Charcoal leather interior. Polestar performance "optimisation". (A much rarer model than a D2 S8 by the way!) Oh, and a brand new engine at just under 30,000 miles on the factory one!
Finally: gone, but not forgotten.....
1998 D2 PF S8. AgateGrey/Platinum. Every option (I think) except electric rear seats, tiptronic steering wheel, ski hatch, towbar & dimming door mirrors.
e.g. Cruise control, NavPlus/TV, Bose, GSM, Xenons, Solar roof, Parking sensors, Alcantara/leather everywhere of course. (internal dimming mirror added later)
1998 (very early) Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec; ABS/TCS, Heated screen/mirrors, Aircon, Auto-dim mirror, Leather, Trip computer, Cruise control, OEM Ford SatNav with CD changer.
And before that a lot of Rover 800s, a few oddities, a lovely Triumph Dolomite 1850HL with Overdrive and way back in my schooldays an Austin Seven aka Mini 850!