View Single Post
Old 15th January 2020, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronin View Post
I've spoken to another hot dip galvanising company who said they would not do the subframes as the holes in them are too small to allow for air to escape as soon as they are dipped in the 450-500C vat which would cause an explosion or deformation.

They also said the best course of action is to sand blast it then get it powder coated to a rough finish and then paint it with some proper boat paint for best result.

They also said that its the temperature shock which can warp and cause the subframes to crack and that ovens that poweder coats use heat up gradually to completley avoid this risk...

so it looks like a no go unless someone else has a better idea?
I'm sure I mentioned that.

The holes issue is not a problem as long as there is a hole. I use a 6mm dia hole in 42.2 o/d heavy tube ships hand rails, drilled on the underside of tube right where its welded to the last stanchion. That hole is big enough to let the air escape as it expands. So the big holes in the subframe will be fine. Distortion however is another thing all together and I don't know how you'd control it. Still think a basic steel jig to check after, it would be interesting to try one. You can buy brnd new glavo chassis for a land rover be interesting to know how they manage it.

Marine paints need a full application to work, I have Jotun primer I use at home. It's thick and needs thinning to use, also goes off quick throw the brush away job. It's a zink rich primer and I rate it. Pop round with a jam jar or 2 and I'll fill them for you.
Top coats are all different, under the waterline ships use an antifouling paint, that would useless to you. Above waterline it rots fast, anyone that has been to sea on a ship will all say the same, its a constant battle. International, hempel, jotun all do good emamel topcoats but I really don't think it'll help the rotting from inside out.
Do what they do with Land rover chassis, waste oil and diesel mixed.

Bright yellow bus o love.