View Single Post
Old 18th January 2020, 02:02 PM

Made some surprising progress today.
As it was fine and sunny I decided to have another look and potentially remove one of the bolts to check exact dimensions.

I removed both the middle 2 in the end and saw that under one of them was what looked like a partial washer. Realised quickly that was the sensor fixing and it was now loose!
Decided to prise up the clips on the front edge to peek underneath and the innermost fixing of the panel actually popped out undamaged! The jammed screw there was actually undone just enough to let the panel slip out.
With only the outer screw left holding it the panel is easily flexible enough (quite rubbery at the outer edge) to lift up and get at the sensor.

I took the sensor off and indoors to look at it. Saw debris under the little 2-hole cover and managed to blow it out. Then decided to see if the little cover was removable as it looked like it was. It just prised off easily and I found yet more debris inside, cleaned it all out with a clean dry artists brush and clipped it back on.
Finally I took my Dyson to the space under the panel, it was full of plant debris! And I also remembered to clean the underside of the panel itself as there was loads of stuff there too. Put everything back, that's quick and easy.
The two dodgy bolts can wait for another time; I currently have no need or desire to get into the ECU box. And if the sensor is still faulty I know I can get another and replace it easily enough now.

I don't know how the sensor works so apart from brushing away debris didn't touch any surfaces and definitely no solvents. Does anyone know what the principles of it are?
2003 D2 FL S8. Irish Green Pearl/Beige. Solar sunroof, auto-dim mirrors, electric rear seat functions, ski hatch retrofit; extended leather. Aftermarket DVB-T, reversing camera and full XCarlink (Bluetooth etc.).
2016 Volvo V40 T5 Cross Country (4WD) with ALL the toys including adaptive cruise etc. etc. Osmium Grey with Blonde/Charcoal leather interior. Polestar performance "optimisation". (A much rarer model than a D2 S8 by the way!) Oh, and a brand new engine at just under 30,000 miles on the factory one!
Finally: gone, but not forgotten.....
1998 D2 PF S8. AgateGrey/Platinum. Every option (I think) except electric rear seats, tiptronic steering wheel, ski hatch, towbar & dimming door mirrors.
e.g. Cruise control, NavPlus/TV, Bose, GSM, Xenons, Solar roof, Parking sensors, Alcantara/leather everywhere of course. (internal dimming mirror added later)
1998 (very early) Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec; ABS/TCS, Heated screen/mirrors, Aircon, Auto-dim mirror, Leather, Trip computer, Cruise control, OEM Ford SatNav with CD changer.
And before that a lot of Rover 800s, a few oddities, a lovely Triumph Dolomite 1850HL with Overdrive and way back in my schooldays an Austin Seven aka Mini 850!

Last edited by HPsauce; 18th January 2020 at 02:16 PM.