View Single Post
Old 20th February 2013, 04:39 PM

Default W12 Wheel/Tyre question?

Hi there...long time since I've been here and strangely enough I believe the last post nearly a year ago might have been about wheels & tyres!

I have a 2005 W12 that came with the standard Audi 8.5Jx19" ET45 12-spoke rims shod with Pirelli P-Zero 255/40 ZR19 100Y tyres.

The tyres weren't great and only two of the rims had been refurbed so I whipped the 8.5Jx20" ET45 9-spoke wheels from my 2001 S8 that had a nearly new set of Michelin Pilot Sport 255/35 ZR20 97Y

Well I've nearly worn those out now and after hitting one of those nasty potholes that appear after a bout of cold weather split a n/s/f tyre

So the time has come to get the original 19's refurbed and back on in the interests of originality and maybe a slightly softer ride.

What I wanted to know was;

1. The 2005 W12 19" 12-spoke alloys and 255/40x19 100Y Pirelli P-Zero were a factory fit combo on that model year?

2. I have always put Michelin Pilot Sport tyres on my 8's but am thinking of going for the Pirelli this time round. How might the P-Zero compare to the Michelin? I'm guessing grip will be similar and not too bothered about wear but very interested in a quiet & comfortable tyre if that makes sense!

3. Two of the original 19" rims were refurbed by Spit & Polish in Kent but I used Pristine in Milton Keynes to do the 20" refurb some years ago. S&P are slightly cheaper (£80 vs £84 sent in with tyres on) but Pristine can also supply me with new tyres where S&P can't. Figured they might take more care fitting them if they just refurbed the wheel... Who do you guys use for alloy refurb?

I have been quoted £200-220 for P-Zero & £240-250 for Pilot Sport.

I am looking to sort this ASAP and all but ready to do the deed with Pristine again but thought I would open it up and see what you guys think?

Thanks & kind regards,
-=Glyn=-