Thread: Dashcam
View Single Post
Old 8th December 2015, 07:54 AM
RIP 27/02/2021 :-(

Quote:
Originally Posted by tintin View Post
So does this mean that the Transcend DrivePro can work off any of the following?

1 - battery inbuilt to the unit (or is that just for time/date memory etc?)
2 - 12v/cigarette lighter socket
3 - direct connection to the car battery
Yes to all of them.

I don't think it lasts a long time on the internal battery, especially if it's being triggered by motion frequently ... a few hours maybe. It's enough to find out who scraped your car while parked at the shops for a few hours (assuming it has had a good charge), but not long enough to be of any real use if your car is parked up on the street for a long time.

If I remember correctly, it comes with a fag lighter adaptor that has a long lead and a mini USB plug on the other end. I didn't use that. Instead I used a USB lead and a 5v regulator/adaptor like this, which I wired into an ignition-switched feed. Doing it this way makes it fully automatic in use. As soon as you jump in the car and drive off it begins recording and when you turn off the ignition it enters parking mode (assuming you've enabled parking mode in the settings).

The 220 has some other seemingly useful features too like Lane Departure and Forward Collision Warning, which work great, but the incessant bleeping every time you switch lanes will drive you nuts; fortunately the bleeping can be turned off.
------------------------------------------------------

------------------------------------------------------
Cars Owned:
The Tesla Era: 2020 Model S Performance Ludicrous+ (present)
(Black, with all black premium interior and carbon fibre décor, 21" sonic carbon twin turbine wheels and FSD capability)

The Audi Era: '97 A8 4.2 (Ming Blue) --> '96 A8 4.2 QS (Dark Green) --> '02 FE S8 (present)
The Citroen Era: '84 BX 1.6 RS --> '89 BX 1.9 DTR Turbo --> '94 XM 2.0L Turbo --> '96 XM 2.0L Turbo Exclusive --> '00 Xantia Activa 2.0L Turbo
The Banger Era: '76 1.2L Lada VAZ-2101 (Ruski Fiat 124) --> '80 1.7L Morris Ital HL, finished in Ermine White and Rust

Last edited by moltuae; 8th December 2015 at 07:59 AM.