View Single Post
Old 29th August 2014, 12:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M-A8 View Post
Hi Mark
I know how you feel mate, but you will have it sorted very soon.

Soooo, first question: have you got DAB?? If not, are you going to have one??
Why?? Well, best result you will achieve by fitting P21Ws with all CREE leds like in this link http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2x-P21W-50...item3f252e500a

...but, it's reported that CREE leds are causing some problems with digital reception, I think digital TV.

If you do have or planning to retrofit, then P21Ws with all SMD chips is your only solution, but they are not as good as CREE, lifetime wise and quality of the light.

Best sidelight I've ever fitted are the one from this link below, 2 years on and no problems at all, the construction is ideal for LEDs as there is no way 'head' will desolder it self from the base because of the heat and weight of the 'head' over the time. Main core is one piece of pcb and second one just slots in, very very solid. And they fit perfectly
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3706414008...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Wiring, it's really very simple, just connect sidelight's positive wire with DRL's positive, sidelight-red DRL-white, like on the picture if THIS thread, but page 1.
Then all you do is change one digit in the headlights coding, from Bi-Xenons with separate P21W halogen to Bi-Xenons with LED DRL. This way you wont get any errors because of fitting lower wattage LEDs, no resistors needed and if you code them as LED they will dim when you switch to main beam, like the original LEDS do.

I think it's one of the best lights mod you can do. See attached the most recent picture after upgrading to full CREE LEDS, plus on page one you have a comparison of LED vs halogen

Right in reply to your message I have simply just been and bought both sets of those lights as let's be fair when my headlamps get sorted I want to be seeing something for my money... I'm a firm believe in having something for what you spend, and even if I had my dream car set up exactly as I'd want it... if I smacked it around the next corner and it went off to be repair, my spending out on it would mean it would have to come back looking different, as to have back what you had before you spent out is madness in my opinion!

I do have DAB but no TV tuner (Yet! maybe one day!) and tend to listen to Radio 2 all day using FM

So I've got two set of bulbs, the D2's I already have to go in are 6,000k lights and they are new, I now have these side lights, and also the the P21W's as per your link. I have a new Ballast for my passenger headlamp, and you've already given me the correct coding for the headlamps I have to be changed to be recognised in my car. Awesome, I'm slowly but surely getting there. (I will be changing fog lights also, but not vital right at this very moment) So the clamping of the two positive wires is so that one activates the dimming of the other is that correct, am I getting that? Because I did wonder the other day with regards to the headlamps and what I should do as obviously these modern cars, when they have their indicators going the LED light in that headlamps dims for the duration on the indicator being switched on (not just whilst it's flashing) and wondered if that was something else I had to do, or if it's not a common thing to do, whether or not anyone has attempted to do it. Presumably it would be some sort of positive feed from the indicator feeding across into the main day time running lights of the same headlamp?

Presumably because I'm Auto electrically retarded and understand the basics, me and Scott with a tester should be able to breeze through this? However if not I've got Teamviewer on my laptop should you wish to peak in and make sure we are doing the right thing

The LED's I originally bought to go in my car was these THESE but sadly they just didn't quite fit through the opening in the headlamps However I had them on CC by VW and at dusk looking at them and turning away would leave the image burnt into your eyes for about five seconds before vision would return properly

Regards, Mark.

Model: MY 2008 08 3.0TDI Quattro Sport, Black on Black (Transporter Edition) Lowered 60mm on drop link bars. Alloys swapped out to RS6 style 20" x 9.5". It's got full tints on all windows, and has the black leather interior. Remapped by Elite Automotive in Cornwall, giving an increase output to 290bhp/450lbs.

Options: Keyless Entry & Start, Bluetooth Hands Free, Quad Zone Climate, 3 Spoke Sports Tiptronic Multi Function Steering Wheel, Black Leather Comfort Seats, AMI, Drivers & Passenger Electric Memory Seats, Auto Dimming Mirrors, Bi-Xenons.

Future Plans:
Selling my current Audi A8 Quattro Sport and replace is with a newer D4 Audi A8L with the 4.2V8 Twin Turbo setup once again it must be black. I'm looking for one with the options added where it has the rear recliing seats, with heated outers. Bose speakers minimum and B&O's if affordable. Rear and back door sun blinds prefered.

Planned Mods:
Upon the arrival of my A8L D4, I will be once again having the ECU remapped to a performance setting over economy. Rear Tints as dark as can go whilst also tinting the front windows with a medium tint. Once again I will be purchasing lowering links for the air ride suspension and setting it at 55mm lower when in comfort as my desire rideheight over standard. Alloys will be 21" however the one current most likly to be the next car already has a brand new set of 2016 S8Plus wheels on it.

My Business: "The Transporter - Cornwall" find us on Facebook or download the Smart phone application by clicking the link below. http://TheTransporter.appsme.com