View Single Post
Old 28th October 2012, 11:44 AM

Thought I'd post some pics of the spare solar panel I'm stripping ready to fit to my car, to go with Ian's excellent pics of the wiring side of things. Will add them as I go, along with some simplified info on fitting.

These are the clips you need to release to push the fabric internal cover back - they only need finger pressure to release them and there's one each side on the front edge. Sunroof needs to be slightly open to access them and you can then slide it back out of the way

This is how I got my panel - the whole thing complete with frame! At least it was protected in transit

With the interior trim pushed back this is what you see on a solar equipped car. This is the offside one - it appears when it was assembled they weren't all that careful as the wire is bent and the insulation is slightly damaged. Probably doesn't matter but will check it properly before fitting.

Passenger side view

The 'inside' view of the sunroof trim panel clips so you can see what it is you're unclipping - I just removed this one so I could see how it goes together - I don't need it as it's a different colour to mine

Trim panel out and this is the inner workings of the solar panel itself

With the roof panel shut, there are a total of 6 T25 torx screws to remove. 1/4" socket set gave plenty of access. I inverted the panel and undid the screws and lifted the frame off as I was working on my own and didn't fancy dropping it!

These are the remaining bits you need from the donor car

Close up view of the bit that actually does the work - the rectangular block is the contact between the solar panel and the wiring in the frame

E-markings on the glass - E11 is UK and E1 is Germany and Reg 43 relates to laminated glass

Top view of the panel off the car

Quick clean with Fast Glass later and the top side looks like new

Any tips from the detailing fetishists on how to clean the seal around the sides of the panel? It's more of a felt material than the rubber on the non-solar panels and I nearly fell off my chair when I priced up a replacement!! Thought if it was cheap and available I'd swap it anyway but that ain't happening

That's progress so far - will take some pics of the rails as I get them off. Any tips from anyone that's done it before? It looks like the wires go through the frame so no idea if there's a connector I'll see when I've undone the torx screws, or will I have to cut and rejoin the wiring?

Adrian

2011 S5 Sportback in Phantom Black with black Super Sports leather, 9x20s, tech pack high, adaptive xenon plus, intelligent key, memory seats pack, sunroof, B&O, Audi Drive Select & quattro Sports Diff, DAB, parking system plus

2015 VW Golf GTI Performance Pack in Carbon Grey with black Vienna leather, tech pack (Discovery Pro nav & Dynaudio), DCC, factory towbar and retrofit RVC