View Single Post
Old 29th October 2012, 08:21 AM

Manufacturing info from solar panel

Offside wiring - just cable-tied to sunroof mechanism with some anti vibration foam round it

Nearside wiring

Sunroof motor removed off donor assembly - think the wiring plug should sit in the plastic clip that the wiring is sitting in in the picture

Frame part number details

Wiring ready for removal

Contact point removed from end of sunroof rail - there's is nothing to disconnect the wiring at this end

Having established there's no other way to remove the wiring, this plug needs to come apart. Remove the purple cap with a screwdriver and insert a screwdriver up the end of the plug to press the metal tab on the wire down and pull out the back

Contact points top and bottom

This is the tab you need to free off to get the wires out of the plug

I didn't take any pics of removing the rails, but basically it's 7x T20 torx on each side and the roof mechanism needs to be more or less right back so the panel mounts are out the way and they can be lifted out.

The screws have evidence of threadlock on them and are barely even finger tight - I had a bit of a play around and it's very easy to over-tighten them and the roof mechanism will then feel tight if you operate it by hand (4mm allen key in motor)

Given the suggested torque for the screws holding the sunroof panel on is 4.5Nm I'd expect the rails don't need to be any tighter than that. If you have it some threadlock probably won't go amiss, particularly on the rails.

I've wrapped the solar panel in bubble wrap for now and won't be fitting it until I have some help available to lift it into place. In the meantime I'm hoping to grab an anti-dazzle mirror as wiring that in properly will involve removing all the same bits of trim as getting the sunroof wiring into place!

Adrian

2011 S5 Sportback in Phantom Black with black Super Sports leather, 9x20s, tech pack high, adaptive xenon plus, intelligent key, memory seats pack, sunroof, B&O, Audi Drive Select & quattro Sports Diff, DAB, parking system plus

2015 VW Golf GTI Performance Pack in Carbon Grey with black Vienna leather, tech pack (Discovery Pro nav & Dynaudio), DCC, factory towbar and retrofit RVC