View Single Post
Old 12th December 2019, 12:12 PM
RIP 27/02/2021 :-(

Quote:
Originally Posted by C4R 100N View Post
So, I said that I would post some repair/maintenance evidence here. So here goes!

I would appreciate some comments....
These receipts represent the effort that the previous owner expended in keeping this vehicle in shape. I have added up the receipts and they came to circa $51,000 AUD over the years! Too rich for me to ever have contemplated. I am far too poor to have ever entertained such lavish attention being spent on a car. I am glad that the previous owner (2nd owner I believe) was able to do so. He insisted on original parts too.

I could not believe it when I peered into the wheel arches and saw that all of the new suspension hardware had the 4 ring logo emblazoned on it!
Attachment 22552

Attachment 22553

Here is the service schedule.
Attachment 22554
It certainly looks like it has been well maintained
Like any big luxury vehicle, these beasts can cost a lot to maintain. I dread to think how much I've spent on my S8 in my ten years of ownership but I would estimate I've spent an average of at least £5K each year. But, unlike most vehicles of a similar vintage, at least there's no rusty bodywork to contend with (not that you probably see much of that in the land down-under!). The high maintenance cost is no doubt one of the main reasons these cars are so rare now. I'd like to think that some day soon these cars will be changing hands at a price that better reflects their rarity and maintenance costs. Not that I'm ever likely to sell mine, but it would be nice to know it was worth at least most of the money I've spent on it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by C4R 100N View Post
I can't help noticing that the posters on this forum are very articulate compared to the people that I am accustomed to interacting with.
Strange ain't it? It does seem that these cars attract a particular demographic. We certainly have far more than our fair share of intellectuals on here. It seems that most here are (or have been) business owners and we have a curiously disproportionate number of people here who are in IT (myself included). It seems almost half of the members here work (or have worked) in some sort of IT-related industry.
------------------------------------------------------

------------------------------------------------------
Cars Owned:
The Tesla Era: 2020 Model S Performance Ludicrous+ (present)
(Black, with all black premium interior and carbon fibre décor, 21" sonic carbon twin turbine wheels and FSD capability)

The Audi Era: '97 A8 4.2 (Ming Blue) --> '96 A8 4.2 QS (Dark Green) --> '02 FE S8 (present)
The Citroen Era: '84 BX 1.6 RS --> '89 BX 1.9 DTR Turbo --> '94 XM 2.0L Turbo --> '96 XM 2.0L Turbo Exclusive --> '00 Xantia Activa 2.0L Turbo
The Banger Era: '76 1.2L Lada VAZ-2101 (Ruski Fiat 124) --> '80 1.7L Morris Ital HL, finished in Ermine White and Rust